What is the Microsoft Home Use Program?
The Home Use Program (HUP) is an employee purchase program with Microsoft, for eligible faculty and staff of Fairleigh Dickinson University. The Home Use Program offers Microsoft 365 Family and Personal subscriptions, at a discounted rate for purchase. FDU faculty and staff members with a valid work email address will be able to begin the process of signing up for the Microsoft Home Use Program. Notification of your eligibility for the Microsoft HUP program will be emailed to your FDU email address inbox.
What is Microsoft 365?
Microsoft 365 is a subscription-based service. The subscription includes premium Office applications, like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. 1TB of OneDrive cloud storage, advanced security features, and support from Microsoft experts are also included with the subscription. The Home Use Program offers two types of Microsoft 365 subscriptions at a discounted rate.
• Microsoft 365 Family – Includes subscription benefits mentioned above, for up to 6 people in your family. Discounted rate of 30%, $69.99 yearly or $9.99 monthly, usually $99.99 yearly.
• Microsoft 365 Personal – Includes subscription benefits mentioned above, for 1 person. Discounted rate of 30%, $48.99 yearly or $6.99 monthly, usually $69.99 yearly.
What is the difference between Office 2019 (one-time purchase) and Microsoft 365 (subscription)?
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2019 is available as a one-time purchase, which means you pay a single, up-front cost to get Office apps for one computer. One-time purchases are available for both PCs and Macs through the Microsoft Store link below. Be aware the one-time purchase price of Microsoft Office Home & Student 2019 is not at a discounted rate and not part of the Microsoft Home Use Program affiliated with FDU.
Microsoft 365 is a subscription-based service that includes collaborative, and up-to-date features in one seamless, integrated experience. Microsoft 365 subscriptions include the Office desktop apps that you are familiar with, like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Subscriptions also include the latest features, fixes, and security updates along with ongoing tech support at no extra cost. You may choose to pay for your subscription on a monthly or yearly basis. The Microsoft 365 Family plan lets you share your subscription with your family for up to 6 people, and use your apps on multiple PCs, Macs, tablets, and phones.
More resources to help make your decision can be found by visiting: Difference between Microsoft 365 and Office 2019 >
How do I make a purchase using the Microsoft Home Use Program?
1. Sign up, by visiting Microsoft Home Use Program. Enter your FDU email address and click on the “Get started” button.
2. Validate if you are an eligible FDU employee of the HUP program. An email will be sent to your Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) email address inbox. Click on the link supplied to begin registration.
3. At the Sign-in/Sign-up page, use your personal Microsoft account associated with a personal email address. If you do not have a personal Microsoft Account, visit: How to create a Microsoft Account >
NOTE: This personal Microsoft account will link to and display your eligible Microsoft HUP program savings, as well as be used to manage your Microsoft 365 subscription after purchase.
4. You may now begin the purchase process by viewing the discounts available to you based on your Home Use Program benefit eligibility.
5. After purchase completion of a Microsoft 365 Family or Personal subscription through the Microsoft Store, you will be able to download your Microsoft 365 subscription software to your personal device. The Microsoft 365 subscription software download will include the full suite of Office Professional Plus 2019 desktop applications.
For a more detailed overview of the employee buying process using the Microsoft Home Use Program, please review this PDF: Microsoft Home Use Program Guide for Employees >
Instructions for installing your Microsoft 365 subscription software on a Mac or PC
NOTE: Use your personal Microsoft Account and password when completing the installation and login credentials for your Office software. This is the same personal Microsoft Account used to complete the registration and purchase process of the Microsoft Home Use program. Your FDU e-mail address and credentials should not be used.
For commonly asked questions about the Microsoft Home Use Program visit the link below: