To help protect the University’s computers and networks from cyber threats, FDU OIRT is implementing Application Control with privilege management. This feature provides all users with rights to install applications as needed while continuing to protect resources from unknown and malicious risks.
All software is typically installed from a setup file. Any setup file for an application should only be downloaded from the developer’s official site. For example, to install Google Chrome, the setup file should only be downloaded from Google’s official site (www.google.com).
Any setup file on a USB drive, CD drive, or any other removable media should only be installed if provided directly from the developer or other credible source.
By default, the setup file will be located within the Downloads folder
In order to install software on a university laptop with Windows 10, follow the process defined below:
- Right-click the setup file for the application to be installed
- Click “Run with Administrative Privileges (Audited)” on the setup file
- Provide a valid reason for installation and use of the application in the space provided and press “Continue”
The application will now be installed with administrative privileges.
While off-campus, the option to “Run with Administrative Privileges (Audited)” may not be present. Please connect to FDU VPN, lock the machine by pressing “Window Key” + L and re-login. The feature should then be available. If this feature is not available while on-campus, please click the “Support” button above for further assistance.
By default, the app installer file will be located within the Downloads folder
Users > YourUserName > Downloads
- Launch the FDU Self Service Portal app located in the Applications folder
- Click on “* I need to install software“
- Click the “Allow Install” button
- Click “Thank you.” when prompted
It may take 15 seconds or more for the above prompt to be presented after clicking the “Allow Install” button from step 3.
- Launch the application installer for the software package you want to install on your MacBook
Your macOS application will now be installed with administrative privileges.
For additional support, click the blue “Support” icon at the top of the screen, or log into samisupport.fdu.edu to ask a question or request assistance. If you can’t access SAMI Support, you can still log a ticket HERE, call UTAC at (973)-443-8822, or email UTAC at email@example.com. To learn more about UTAC, please visit https://it.fdu.edu/help-desk/