Follow these easy to use instructions for encrypting Word, Excel, and Acrobat files using built-in features.
- For Word and/or Excel files, first click on File on the upper left-hand corner
- Under the Info tab, click on Protect Document for Word and Protect Workbook for Excel followed by Encrypt with Password
- Enter a password in the pop-up window. Re-enter the password in the next window to confirm
- The below message will confirm your document has been password-protected
- To open a password-protected file, double-click on the file and enter the created password
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC or Adobe Acrobat for macOS is needed to encrypt PDF files with a password. This feature is not available in the free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
- Select Tools on the Navigation Tab and then select Protect
- On the Protect Tab select Encrypt
- Select Encrypt with Password. Then select Yes on the security pop-up window
- Check Require a Password to Open the Document and then choose a strong password. Under compatibility, choose Acrobat X and later to change the encryption method to 256-bit.
- Confirm the password when requested. Please note that the document WILL NOT be fully encrypted until it is saved
- To open the file, double-click the file and enter the created password.